Bristol Reclaiming Independent Living (BRIL)
BRIL is a community group run by and for Disabled people, neurodivergent people, people living with chronic illness and people who experience mental distress.
Our aims are to :
- Campaign for equality and inclusion for all Disabled people.
- To promote the principle of ‘Independent Living’ for all.
- To provide peer-support.
BRIL defines Independent Living as:
- The right to live in the community
- Being free from segregation and isolation
- Having choice and control over our lives, on an equal basis to other people
- Having access to support and personal assistance that meets our needs.
BRIL defines peer support as way of:
- Sharing experiences
- Recognising and respecting our differences
- Being connected to others
- Having choice and control
- Showing solidarity.